Several Congolese soldiers were wounded in a “friendly fire” mistake when a bomb launched from a Ugandan Sukhoi jet bomber struck the Congolese armed forces’ position.
The incident occurred on Tuesday morning at around 7:00 am along Eringeti-Komanda Road.
Contacted for comment, deputy defence spokesperson Col Deo Akiiki said he was in a meeting. He was yet to respond to our message seeking information on the matter.
However, highly trusted sources said a Congolese soldier lost both his legs and many others are suffering from shock.
“This is the third time our Air Force is hitting FARDC (Congolese armed forces) positions and they are beginning to lose confidence in our battlefield management,” said a source who preferred anonymity as he is not authorised to address the media.
“The reason for these cases of fratricide is very poor coordination by those responsible for the operations,” the source emphasised.
According to President Museveni, Ugandan fighter- bombers have been active inside Congo, especially in the Mambasa territory area.
The Ugandan and Congolese forces jointly launched ‘Operation Shujaa’ on November 30, 2021 with the bombardment of ADF bases in eastern Congo.
Since then, dozens of ADF commanders have been killed while the remnants of the terrorist force are in disarray.
Officials said Ugandan commanders need to work closely with their Congolese counterparts to avoid friendly fires.
The development comes amid a huge public outcry over the increased cases of UPDF aircraft crashes in DRC and Western Uganda.