July 20, 2024

Uganda’s Premier donates cash towards the rescue of Church House

0
Share Now

KAMPALA

The Prime Minister of the Republic of Uganda Rt. Hon. Nabanja Robinah also the Kakumiro Woman Member of Parliament has this Morning Sunday donated cash worth shillings 50 Million (Ugx) and other assorted household items to the Church of Uganda in support of the ongoing crusade to clear a bank loan for the Church house project. The contribution was received by His Grace the Archbishop Dr Kazimba Stephen Mugalu.

Earlier last month, Archbishop Stephen Kaziimba launched the “Yes, We Can!” fundraising campaign at All Saints’ Cathedral, Kampala. Giving details are at the end of this post.

The “Yes, We Can!” two-month fundraising campaign aims to raise 1,000,000 “Love Gifts” of 60,000/- each to clear the construction loans on Church House.

Paying off the debt on Church House will enable the Church House to fulfill its original purpose, which is to raise funds for the church’s ministry and for clergy pensions.

The Church of Uganda has 13 million members, so if only 1 million members give 60,000/-, the debt can be cleared.

Archbishop Kaziimba said, “This year 2021 we are celebrating 60 Years of Self-Governance. So, I am encouraging everyone to give a thanksgiving Love Gift for Church House of 60,000/-. And, today is the 6th day of the 6th month of June, in the 60th year of self-governance. So, I encourage everyone to give a Love Gift of 60,000/-.”

A dedicated Church House Love Gift account has been opened at Equity Bank. Deposits can be made on the account or through MTN Mobile Money, Airtel Money, or Equity Bank’s banking apps.

Equity Bank, Main Branch

Acct Name: Church House Love Gift

Acct Number: 1039201817619

MTN: 1654*4#
Code: EQUITYBANK

Payment Ref: 001193

Airtel: *185#, Paybill 4, Others 9

Business Number: 247247

Amount
Payment Ref: 001193
In June 2018, Sunday Vision ran a story in which Equity Bank threatened to auction
the building after the church failed to service the loan and accumulated arrears.
To construct the building, Christians and well-wishers contributed about $3m (sh10.8b) towards the project through fundraising and sale of church property over a period of 40 years.

President Yoweri Museveni contributed sh300m to the project at the time the late Livingstone Nkoyooyo was the archbishop of the Church of Uganda.
However, since the money was inadequate, the church acquired a loan from Equity
Bank, through its business arm, the Church Commissioners Holding Company Limited, in 2010. Equity Bank financed the Church House project to completion.

The bank was to invest $10m and sh5b, which was 70% of the initial construction cost, while the church was to raise the remaining 30%. According to the Church of Uganda website, www.churchofuganda.org, the loan had a two-year grace period, during which time the Church had by June 2018 paid only the interest. The balance of the loan was to be repaid over a 10-year period using income received from tenants.

Sources said the church negotiated with the bank for more time so that they could

0Shares

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *