Two children died after an inferno swept through their home on Saturday night in Jinja. The fire is believed to have originated from a candle that their mother, Hellen Mukyala had left on as she went to buy groceries at the nearby market. The fire from the candle is suspected to have first torched the mosquito net under which the victims were sleeping.
The incident reportedly occurred at Nsakabusolo cell in Jinja City’s Northern Division. According to Kiira Division Police, the toddlers were burnt beyond recognition. Their remains were taken to Jinja Regional Referral Hospital Mortuary for postmortem.
Mukyala was unconscious and receiving treatment at a private health facility in Jinja so she could not narrate what exactly happened that unfortunate evening.
Persons in Mukyala’s neighborhood told URN that they were surprised to learn that fire had gutted the house killing the children.
They said Mukyala had locked the gate to her house before she went to Napier market. They said they only noticed when the fire had already burnt most of the house.
Asuman Mwidu, a resident in the area said the gate was locked with strong padlocks, and by the time they succeeded in accessing the fire scene, the fire had erased everything, and the house ceiling had collapsed.
Esther Nakagolo, another resident said it was hard for them to notice the fire during its initial stages and that they only notified police when the raging flames and smoke billowed.
Kiira regional police spokesperson, James Mubi said the police’s fire brigade was unable to save the children since they were notified late. However, he said efforts were made to deter the spread to the neighboring houses
Mubi urged parents to always leave children under the watch of supervisory figures, capable of rescuing them from exposure to dangerous and comprising situations alike.